Saturday, March 7, 2015

Massage Therapy: Making Contact

On Thursday I did a brief presentation about my work as a massage therapist for my colleagues in my networking group.  I was so nervous for some reason!  But folks seemed to like it so I thought I would share it with you all here:

We are spinning in space inside an atmosphere of gravitational force.

Our bodies, just like a tree, are perfectly designed to operate gracefully inside gravity.  But learned behaviors, unconscious habits, injury, family legacy -- all these things play into what you might call "holding patterns".

My job, as a Massage Therapist, is to make contact with these holding patterns, to raise awareness of these areas within the system of my client, to awaken circulation through stuck places within the body.

For me, discussing the many different layers of embodiment is a complex, multi-dimensional exploration.

There is the *cosmic* reality:  gravity.  Indeed, gravity and postural imbalance are I believe the two biggest factors leading to pain within the body.

Then there is the *energetic* reality:  The magnetic field around every living being, creating, if you will, an individual atmosphere.

Then there is the *physical* reality:  blood, bone, nerve, muscle, organ, connective tissue, and breath, among many other things.

Then, the *historical* reality:  did this person have an easy birth into this world?   Have they broken any limbs?  Have they torn any ligaments?  Have they been cut or bruised and have they had any stitches?

And finally there is the *spiritual* dimension:  what gives meaning to a person's life?  What fulfills them?  What makes them super sad?  Have they been loved?  Cared for?  Have they created what they came here to create?

All these stories live within our bodies.

In my work, I always start and end my sessions the same way:  I ask my client to take a nice, deep, cleansing breath, and I do so as well.  Then we take another.  During this time I am bringing my mind into alignment with unconditional regard -- the foundation of my work.  For me, unconditional regard is bringing myself into a neutral state of mind, a place of acceptance, compassion, and respectful witness.

I bring my hands a few inches above my client's back, and I bring my awareness to my breath, I align my posture, I feel the ground beneath my feet and I enter into my client's personal atmosphere, making contact with the surface, yes….but with an awareness of that gravitational field, the physical pressure which actually holds all of us on planet earth.

And then, all the connections start getting made, how the hips hold up the ribs with a spine running right through to the brain, a bowling ball on a flexible stick.  We're bi-pedal so everything criss-crosses, left knee, right nip, left shoulder, right neck, left jaw……

The mind kinda starts to dissolve, the right now makes a much longer pause, muscles letting go of all their holding, moments hold together by an organic human being, in a body, from a body, of a body, and breathing…..

Awaken to the now with massage therapy!

After nearly 20 years in this profession I can say that I am still endlessly fascinated, excited by, and inspired by the possibilities of healing in the human body.

Clinical deep tissue has taught me practical functional knowledge that I can apply to athletes and weekend warriors.

Reiki and energy work has taught me how the subtler planes often hold deep release within the tissue.

Injury and surgery have taught me how it feels when pain shoots through the body, bringing compassion and empathy, as well as a felt sense of how soft tissue manipulation can speed healing.

A great referral for me is someone looking to commit to their self-care and personal growth through massage therapy.

I now offer 50% all my treatments for anyone dealing with chemotherapy or cancer.

I am selling a lot of series packages these days, and through the month of March am offering one 25-min add-on to a 60- or 90-minute 4-pack.

My office is located at 729 El Cerrito Plaza, and my office hours are Thursdays and Saturdays, 2:30-9pm.  I am available for corporate gigs and out-call/in-home sessions on other days.

Do your body/mind a favor:  book a session today!


No comments:

Post a Comment